In honor of Women’s History Month, NYCEDC will be hosting a series of events to celebrate the women of NYC’s Public Markets. Come out to La Marqueta on Saturday, March 7th, 2020 from 2pm – 5pm! The series will highlight the female vendors and producers that make up each market and offer details on support and information for MWBE businesses, food and goods from vendors throughout the network.
La Marqueta’s rich blend of community, culture, and cuisine continues to thrive in what has become one of the largest Latinx neighborhoods in New York City. Together, the City Council and NYCEDC are spearheading growth and modernization for La Marqueta — and countless new ways to enjoy it — for the community!
As we celebrate women and all they have accomplished over the last 100 years, this special event will highlight a number of the La Marqueta women-owned businesses whose entrepreneurship, hard work, dedication and creativity have made this NYC Public Market so special. These businesses, which add to the energy and success of La Marqueta on a daily basis, include:
- Artists of La Marqueta & Spiritual Dolls
- Elma’s in Harlem
- Sprinkle Splash
- Vanessa Patisserie
- Chef Bangs & Co
NYCEDC has partnered with Hot Bread Kitchen (HBK) to develop HBK Incubates, a large space at La Marqueta designed to help people with small, artisanal, and ethnic food businesses make the transition from working in their home kitchens to using fully-equipped, professional facilities. Several of these women business owners will be sampling, selling and celebrating at the market event on March 7th, including:
- Maryam’s YumYum
- The Egg Roll Queen
- Karen’s Goodness
- Ms Mac’s Fruit Cake
- Lil Bit of Everything Catering
During this event, attendees can sample and shop from these featured vendors, enjoy live music, network with female entrepreneurs, and support the regular La Larqueta Market vendors.
The series will take place on five consecutive Saturdays from February 29th to March 28th as follows:
- Saturday, February 29 – Essex Market, 2PM – 5PM (Series Kick Off), Manhattan
- Saturday, March 7 – La Marqueta, 2PM – 5PM, East Harlem
- Saturday, March 14 — Moore Street Market, 2PM – 5PM, Brooklyn
- Saturday, March 21 — Arthur Avenue Market, 2PM – 5PM, Bronx
- Saturday, March 28 — Jamaica Market, 2PM – 5PM, Queens
Attendees can expect to taste and shop for everything from pastries and nutritious kids’ meals at La Marqueta; to fresh fish, pasta, craft beer, and ice cream from Essex Market; to vegan baked goods and international spices from Moore Street Market; fresh meat and sandwiches at Arthur Avenue Market and fresh vegetables and prepared foods from Jamaica Market and more.
Free business services such as advertising placements and marketing consultations will be raffled off to those that attend from Heritage Radio Network, Queens FEASTS, Edible Manhattan and EscapeMaker.com. Prizes include:
- Free web services for 2 years from Godaddy ($50 Value)
- Customized social media plan for a business owner from Queens FEASTS
- Free legal clinic with NELP for 30 minute session with a lawyer
- 30 minute photo session by a professional photographer for your business or products
- On-air mentions on 6 episodes of Heritage Radio & social media mentions ($500 Value)
- Social Media Promotion from Edible Manhattan ($500 Value)
- 6 hours of on-demand business training from EscapeMaker.com ($250 Value)